Monday, February 27, 2012

Our Favorite Sins by Todd Hunter

I recently finished reading the book Our Favorite Sins: The Sins We Commit & How You Can Quit by Todd Hunter. It's a book about dealing with Temptation. More specifically, it's a book about dealing with Desires. A lot of people (myself included prior to this book) have tried to deal with Temptation by treating it as a problem. Most of the time that fails because Temptation isn't a problem, it's a symptom. It's like trying to heal a broken arm by taking Tylenol for the pain. The underlying problem we need to deal with is what Todd refers to as 'disordered desires.'

He makes a good point that the desires we have are God-given, but they have been tainted by the effects of Sin. Through the power of Christ, those disordered desires can become organized once again, and we won't be as likely to suffer from the symptoms of Temptation any longer. "The goal of Our Favorite Sins is to cause you to want a real experience of the real God so much that your other disordered desires and wants are put in second place."

I really liked this book. It was written using words which were very easy to understand and in a format which made me want to keep reading it. As he poured personal stories, statistics, and Biblical insight into this well-written book, I felt like I was sitting across a table from Todd and we were having an in-depth conversation about this struggle. All in all, I would highly recommend this book to anyone who feels like they are fighting a losing battle with Temptation.

I received a copy of this book from the publishing company and was not required to write a positive review. All opinions expressed here are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment