Monday, February 6, 2012

A Father's Hands

Once upon a time, a long, long time ago, when I was a wee little tyke.....ok, who am I kidding? I know 20 years is a long time, especially to one who isn't much older than that, but in the grand scheme of things, it's not that much time. Anyway, this may sound a bit weird, but I have very fond childhood memories of my father's hands. I remember the feel of them, the texture, even the smell of them, but most vividly, I remember feelings of love, comfort, and safety associated with them. They were strong hands, and every time I held my father's hand I felt invincible and incredibly secure. I was also spanked with those hands, but I knew even then that it was because I was loved.

I got to thinking about that as I was studying my own hands the other day. The thought dawned on me that soon, my hands would be Father Hands. I don't know why exactly, but I was completely floored by the thought. Suddenly the world felt too big, and I too small. Would my hands provide the same sense of love and security that I received from my father? Would the discipline I give out be just? Will I be willing to let go when the time comes?

Then my mind jumped another direction, and I thought about my Heavenly Father and His hands.
  1. His hands bled for me
    1. First and foremost, he hung from his hands on a cross because of His incredible love for me. He sacrificed his very life so we could be together.
  2. His hands are completely secure
    1. He has promised me that nothing can snatch me out of His hand. There is no power, force, or reason that will cause Him to let go of me. I get to hold His hand for the rest of eternity! Talk about being secure!
  3. His hands discipline for my benefit
    1. Just like a father disciplines the son whom he loves, so God also disciplines me. He does it for my good, that I may share in His holiness!
As I prepare to have 'Father Hands' I am striving to follow both my earthly and heavenly fathers' examples. I trust it will be enough to raise a son who honors both his earthly and heavenly fathers.

2 comments:

  1. Great thoughts Nick and thanks for the memories! I have always gone to the verse in Isaiah 41:10 Isaiah 41:10 KJV
    Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the (strong) right hand of my righteousness.
    My Father (your Father) always holds me with His strong hand (like my father as well!) Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very simple, yet well written and great use of imagery.

    Russ Kauk

    ReplyDelete