Thursday, February 9, 2012

Frustrated with frustration

Have you ever felt frustrated about something? Then felt frustrated about feeling frustrated? Then felt frustrated about feeling frustrated about whatever's causing your frustration? Then feel frustrated........it ends up feeling like a huge tangled up knot of messiness in the pit of your stomach!

These past few weeks, that knot has been slowly growing bigger for me, and it doesn't seem to be going away. And what's most frustrating about all of it is that just a few weeks ago, I was perfectly content in this area, and wasn't struggling with it at all!

I'm referring to our finances. Usually I am perfectly content with how much what we make, but I had a conversation with someone recently that pointed out how little income we have compared to what we could have. Ever since that conversation it seems like that comparison keeps getting shoved in my face by all sorts of circumstances and situations, and I am really frustrated with it! Why can't I just be content like I was before that conversation?

Then this morning my coworker shared about his recent trip to Africa, and how the average annual income was only $900. It was like a slap in the face for me. I really have no business griping and complaining about my income. So what if I have to wait a long time to buy something? So what if I have to drive a 'beater?' So what if we can't eat out all the time? So what if I have to shop at Goodwill or Salvation Army? I don't have to walk through ditches full of garbage to buy groceries from a street-side vendor, wondering if I'll have enough cash. I don't have to deal with malnutrition - this knot of frustration I feel could be feelings of hunger.


When you look at others with their lands and gold
Think that Christ has promised you His wealth untold
Count your many blessings, money cannot buy
Your reward in heaven, nor your home on high.


Chorus:
Count your blessings, name them one by one
Count your blessings, see what God has done
Count your blessings, name them one by one
And it will surprise you what the Lord has done.

1 comment:

  1. Love that song...totally understand where you are coming from. Danny & I go to Goodwill for fun now (and shopping too!)...love the one on Constitution.

    ReplyDelete