Friday, February 15, 2013

A Valentine's Day Date

Seven years ago today, Rachel and I went on a Valentine's Day date.

I know what you must be thinking, "Valentine's Day was yesterday!" That's very true. And you might be interested to know that we would have gone out that night instead, but I had a college class I needed to attend. To make up for my one-day delay, I dropped off a bunch of roses and chocolates and a nice card at her house before heading to class.

The next night, we went to dinner. We reminisced about all the time we'd spent together over the past several years....some of those officially 'dating' and others being 'just friends.' After dinner was over, we went for a stroll along the river, meandering through town. We found ourselves crossing a bridge onto an island in the river where a park was. We had a lot of memories there. It was where we went for our first date. It was where we first held each other's hands. It was where I first told her "I love you." I had even carved our initials into a fallen log, and we made our way over to it to see if we could find them.

We sat on the log for a while just talking, then I told Rachel I had a song I wanted her to listen to. I told her to just close her eyes and focus on the words.

I Love You by Nine Days on Grooveshark

While she did that, I knelt in the snow and laid out some tea candles, and attempted to light them in the falling rain. She quietly said that the song was over, and I told her to turn around and open her eyes. She did so, and saw me on a knee next to a partially lit message, "I ❤ U ∞" and holding a ring up to her.

I asked her, "Rachel, will you marry me?" In shock, she responded, "WHAT?" so I repeated the question, this time with a grin. I waited in anticipation, my heart beating like crazy.

Then I heard the best thing ever.....she said Yes!

And after almost seven years of marriage, I am still so very glad she said yes.


1 comment: